Retention and Progression

Stay On Course

There may be a time when you feel you cannot cope with some issue concerning life at university, and may start to think about withdrawing from your studies.  It is important you analyse the issues that have led you to thinking about leaving.

Are you unable to attend an exam, or have missed an exam due to unforeseen circumstances?

  • If a situation arises where a pre-scheduled event will prevent you from attempting a module assessessment (such as jury service or a medical procedure), then you can apply for Deferred Consideration to postpone the assessment to a future date. More information can be found at:
  • Sudden illness, family bereavement or other unforeseen circumstances may make it impossible to complete an assessment. In all such cases you should contact the module leader immediately. You may need to complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form if no other support is available or appropriate to your situation. Extenuating Circumstances Forms need to be submitted with five days of the missed assessment, and you must provide supporting evidence. Further information can be found here:
  • If you have any issues concerning assessments or academic progression, or would like to discuss the procedures in more detail, then you should contact the Retention and Progression Adviser, Philip Newton, on 0151 904 6053 or email

Are you worried about money matters?

  • The University offers advice and support for students who are experiencing financial difficulties.  Look at the Money Matters web pages in the Student Advice of the University website to view the support available to you.
  • You can contact the Student Advice and Wellbeing Team on 0151 904 6056/7, or via email

Is your coursework making you feel stressed, and/or you think you may have chosen the wrong course?

  • Try contacting your personal tutor, as they may be able to offer you some relevant advice.
  • You could talk to Study Support, and consider attending a workshop or one-to-one support session.  You can contact Study Support on 0151 904 6066, or via email
  • You could contact Counselling and arrange an appointment for advice on how to cope with stress. 

Are you feeling homesick, or have a personal problem affecting you?

  • Have you considered talking to someone about your concerns?  Your personal tutor, a senior student (for those living in Halls), someone from Counselling or Student Advice are all contacts who will try to offer appropriate advice and guidance.
  • In some cases, such as ill health, you may be allowed to suspend your studies.  You should contact your programme leader to discuss how the decision to suspend would affect your course. You should also speak to someone from Student Advice and Wellbeing for information about the implications for your funding.

Do you have, or think you may have, a disability that is affecting your studies?

  • Look at the disability advice web pages on the University website for further information.
  • You can also contact the Disability Team on 0151 904 6052, or via email, for an appointment.

Are you unhappy with your accommodation?

  • Look at the accommodation web pages on the University website for a range of advice and information.
  • You can also contact the Student Advice and Wellbeing Team on 0151 904 6056/7, or via email, to arrange an appointment to discuss your options with an advisor.


It is important you consider all options to avoid making a decision that you may regret.  However, if you have satisfied yourself that withdrawal is the right option for you, then you should be aware of the financial implications.

Page last modified 11 September 2013.

Send feedback
LJMU Logo banner imageLJMU Logo banner image (print)