Give As You Earn
Making a difference through 'Give As You Earn'
LJMU operates the charitable giving scheme 'Give As You Earn' (GAYE) which is the simplest way to give to charity direct from your pay, tax free.
GAYE is the most tax-effective way for individuals to donate regularly as your contribution is deducted from your salary before tax. So, for every £10.00 you give, it will only cost you £7.80 because you save £2.20 as the basic tax rate (higher rate tax payers will only pay £6.00).
And whilst you benefit by not paying tax on the donations you make, the charity you support benefits too because it creates dependable income which allows both long-term planning of funding and flexibility to respond to need as it arises.
The university is supported by a number of staff who make regular gifts to a variety of funds within the university and this generosity was rewarded recently when the University was awarded a Bronze Award from the Payroll Giving Quality Mark scheme. The Award is a symbol of excellence, recognising that LJMU staff are making a real difference through GAYE.
As well as our colleagues, the university is also supported by a number of generous governors, trustees, alumni, friends and supporters.
Information about GAYE
- Any donation will be deducted from your wages before you are assessed for tax
- The minimum donation is £2.00 per month. There is no maximum.
- You can donate to more than one charity at any time
- You can increase or decrease your donations or stop at any time by informing the payroll department.
- Charities Trust which administers LJMU's GAYE scheme is a non-profit, national payroll giving and corporate donation management agency approved by the Inland Revenue. For more information, visithttp://www.charitiestrust.org/
- Charities Trust is the most cost effective agency in the UK and only charges a small administration fee of 25p per donation to ensure that the charities selected by you receive maximum funds. If you donate to more than one charity only 25p is deducted and this is split between the charities
- Once you have pledged your tax effective donation, you can split the donation to benefit as many charities as you wish. The administration charge is not affected and regardless of how many charities you choose the charge stays the same.