Out of Office autoreplies
Inform people when you're out of the office
When you are going to be away for more than a few days, you can set Microsoft Office Outlook to automatically reply to email messages sent to you during your absence. Using this facility you can acknowledge receipt of the message, and advise the sender when you will be back at work and able to respond to their message.
Please note, out of office replies are sent to emails generated outside of the university, as well as internally.
Out of Office replies - security guidance.
As external emails receive an out of office reply, your absence details will be accessible to third parties outside of the university. Theoretically, this information in the out of office reply could be cross referenced with information, publicly available, to determine personal details associated with the email address, such as phone numbers, home addresses and so on.
Computing and Information Services recommend the following when composing an out of office reply.
- Never say specifically you are going on holiday
- Never include your home address
- Never include personal contact details, such as home phone number, mobile number etc
- Keep the information generic, and whenever possible, redirect enquiries to a colleague.
Setting up Out of Office replies using Microsoft Outlook.
Use this method from any LJMU PC running Microsoft Outlook.
- On a LJMU PC, open Microsoft Outlook.
- On the menu bar, click on Tools.
- Select Out of Office Assistant...
- Click on I am currently Out of the Office and enter a suitable message to be sent in your absence.
- Click on OK to confirm the settings.
Setting up Out of Office replies using Outlook Web Access
Use this method to set up your Out of office reply from any internet enabled PC using Outlook Web Access.
Using your web browser:
- From the LJMU Home Page select EMail
- Log On using your LJMU username and password as normal (Your password is CASE SENSITIVE) - You will now be logged in to your email via an Outlook style interface.
- From the icons on the left-hand side select Options
- Set the Out of Office Assistant options as required
- Click on Save and Close (at the top of the window)
- When you have finished reading your mail, click on the Log Off icon (on the left hand side of the screen).